Don and Mary Heiby started Heiby Oil Company on January 1st, 1951 at 1244 S. Main St. serving fuel oil, farm and commercial customers in Logan County. Gasoline and fuel were delivered by rail cars from the refinery in Lima. What is now the Homecoming Restaurant and Tip Top Truck Plaza were built in the late 50's to serve customers using the new State Route 33. The current property located at 1020 S. Detroit St. was purchased in the early 60's to allow for expansion and shared the rail line with the Ohio Farm Bureau.
On November 15th, 1975, Heiby Oil Company was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Donald James to complement their operations in Lima, Ohio. Locations were added in Bellefontaine, Urbana and Mt. Victory, Ohio to accommodate the ever growing driving public. The 80's were a time of growth for the Heiby Oil Company and Logan County as a whole. The addition of Honda of America and their affiliates saw an increase in our customer base and a boost to the local economy as well.
On August 15th, 1992, Heiby Oil Company entered into the propane market and steadily grew our territory to cover five counties. On December 31, 2006, Mr. and Mrs. James sold their business to their oldest son Dave.
On June 30th, 2020, Dave sold the gasoline and diesel bulk fuel portion of the business to R.D. Holder of New Carlise, OH.
Being soley focused on customers' propane needs, Dave was in the process of transitioning to the new name, "Peak Propane" when he passed away in May of 2021. His son, Patrick, and daughter-in-law, Jenna, are now proudly carrying on the family business in his honor.
Patrick and Jenna also own and operate a local real estate company, P. Allan Properties, providing tenants safe and affordable housing, as well as investors a trustworthy property management option.
The new company name "Peak Propane" is a reflection of our location near the "Peak of Ohio" and our focus on our customer's propane needs. Today, Peak Propane continues to grow and is currently serving over 2,100 customers in Logan and surrounding counties.
1020 S. Detroit St.
Bellefontaine, Oh 43311
M-F 7:30AM - 4:30PM
(Closed for training Fridays 8:30AM-9:30AM)